ELMO Pre-Dissertation Funding
- Doctoral students in the Laney Graduate School with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Applicants must be pre-registered and enrolled at Emory for the semester following their field experience
- Applicants must have prior research experience/appropriate coursework and/or have participated in a relevant independent project
- Proficiency in the project country's primary language is preferred, but not required
Requirements for pre-dissertation fieldwork using ELMO
- Participate in GlobalFieldLab Working Group before and after fieldwork
- Research report outlining topic, methodology and findings for IDN/The Carter Center
- Short description of project, methodology and results (300-400 words) suitable for publication on IDN website.
- At least two high resolution, work-related photographs
- Doctoral students are also eligible to use LGS Professional Development support funds for pre-dissertation fieldwork but must adhere to the PDS guidelines, procedures, rules and regulations
- Students are required to register with ISOS (in some countries ISOS requires additional coverage)
- The ELMO Pre-Dissertation Funding Application is available here.
- The application deadline is February 1, 2017 for summer experiences
- Applications for short-term learning opportunities during the academic year must be received no later than three weeks prior to the proposed departure date.
- Applicants for summer funding are required to attend the Global Health Institute course focusing on cultural sensitivity, health, and safety issues before working abroad
- Awards range from $2000-$3500 depending on the kind of opportunity involved (short-term vs. summer).
- IDN grants may be combined with other Emory funding as long as total Emory funding does not exceed $5000.
- Students may use IDN funds toward the cost of international airfare, housing, food, local transportation, visas and vaccinations.
- Students may receive funding from IDN only one time.
- Students conducting research that requires IRB approval must receive approval before beginning their project.
Questions? Please contact Obse Ababiya (email@example.com).